Sunday, July 15, 2007

Why the Cubs will win the World Series in 2007

Yep, I said it, the Cubbies are destined to win the World Series in 2007. For those of you who follow baseball, you're probably thinking, "yeah right, typical Cubs fan, always hopeful (and delusional) that this is they're year." Others are likely tempted to bring up the Curse of the Billy Goat.

However, the doubters amongst you are apparently unware of the Malf Curse, which is as follows: No major sports team shall ever win their respective sport while Malf lives in their geographical fan base, but one or more of the teams will have won shortly before he arrives or win right after he leaves.


Think I'm crazy? Perhaps, but consider the following:
I grew up in Omaha, Nebraska, where the Cornhusker football squad is not just a team, but a way of life. Trivia buffs might know that during a home game in Memorial Stadium, it becomes the 3rd largest place in the entire state (behind Lincoln and Omaha). After winning back-to-back National Championships in 1970 & 1971 (before I was born of course), the Huskers would have to wait a long time to win another. In fact, throughout my childhood, they would lose a heartbreaking title Orange Bowl in 1983 and proceed to lose 8 of their next 10 bowl games.
In 1994, I moved to St. Louis to attend Washington University. The Huskers promptly won 3 National Championships over the next 4 seasons, including fielding the greatest (i.e., most dominant) team of all-time in 1995.

During my residence in Omaha & St. Louis, the Chicago Bulls were also establishing themselves as one of the greatest NBA teams of all-time by achieving repeat 3-peats in 1991-93 and 1996-98. The Arizona Wildcat basketball team won the National Championship in 1997 as well.

After graduating from college, I decided to migrate north with Priti up I-55 to the Windy City (again for the trivia buffs, so nicknamed for the hot air being exhaled by writers trying to promote the Second City, rather than the literal wind). Michael Jordan of course retired that same year and the Bulls, along with every other major Chicago team, had to endure 5 years of mediocrity or worse. Meanwhile, St. Louis was experiencing a sports resurgence of sorts, as the Rams won the Super Bowl in 2000 (and nearly again in 2002) and the Cardinals discovered one of the soon-to-be all-time greats in Albert Pujols. The Arizona Diamondbacks became the fastest franchise to win the World Series, ending the Yankees dynasty in 2001 in one of the greatest World Series of all-time.

After finishing grad school and getting married in 2003, we moved down to Tucson for Priti's residency at the University of Arizona. Since we have been there, the Chicago White Sox and the St. Louis Cardinals have won the World Series, the Bears made it to the Super Bowl, and not a single major sports championship has been won by an Arizona team (sorry Ladycats fans).

Ok, I know, you're thinking, "this is interesting and all, but what the hell does this have to do with the Cubs winning the World Series?!!?" In 2003 the Cubs were 5 outs away from making the World Series, a mere 3 months after I left Wrigleyville. Priti was actually in Chicago during that series and I was ready to hop on a plane if not for Steve Bartman's ignorance and Alex Gonzalez's goat-ness. But, see, the Cubs fan base is not just Chicago, but America...EUREKA, it's all becoming clear now. The Cubs came close but they were unable to achieve greatness because I was still too close...and I was ready to return to the epicenter at the pivotal moment. But now, NOW, is the time Cubs fans, for I am leaving the country and won't be returning until well after October 2007. As tempting as it will be to fly back from India to see them in the World Series, I can't in good conscious do that to my fellow Cubs fans.

I suppose it's not a completely no-win situation for me when they win. At least at that point I will be completely assured that I am in fact cursed. And missing out on my favorite team winning the world series is a small price to pay for the final confirmation of my importance in the grand scheme of things.

Wow, it's past midnight on the eve before the craziest adventure of my life and I've spent the last hour rambling on about this?!

Bags are packed and we're ready to go...

2 comments:

Courtney said...

you are a dork, but the office loves baseball and thought this entry was very entertaining :)

Bajo said...

Jason, you may be more right than you know...

(Ominous music playing...)